Laughter holds real power. It is a true gift. Here are some of the fascinating facts as to why laughter needs to be part of our daily lives:
1. It is a natural painkiller: Laughing releases endorphins. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
“Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects”
2. It promotes a younger appearance: Just by laughing the blood flows through the muscles used around the face making you look younger. No need for plastic surgery or expensive creams!!
3. Laughing is contagious: It binds people together and increases intimacy. Carry laughter with you wherever you go.
4. You learn more effectively when you laugh with others!!
5. It helps strengthen the immune system: Laughter decreases stress and increases the blood flow. It stimulates your organs and enhances your intake of oxygen.
6. It helps you lose weight: You burn off calories by laughing. A hearty chuckle raises the heart rate and speeds up the metabolism.
7. Humor shifts perspective: A humorous perspective creates psychological distance, which can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed.
8. Laughter boosts self confidence: Learn to laugh at yourself when things get intense or do not go as planned.
The real power of laughter comes when you can laugh at your future.
Proverbs 31:25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
I love the Proverbs 31 woman with her capacity to laugh at the future with no fear. It is not a superficial laugh. This is not the laughter to just breeze away the stress. This is a deep seated, strong laugh born out of utter confidence in God. It comes from the core of her, which creates in her a remarkable inner strength. Whatever the future might bring. Within her family, her marriage, her relationships, the road ahead of her. She is declaring that her future is safe in the hands of the One who loves her. By laughing at the days to come she declares that God is Good. I am acutely aware that if my future were in my hands only or in ‘fate’…I would NOT be laughing!!!
Of course we do not laugh at everything that comes our way. Yet although we may not understand why every thing happens or why our pathway takes an unexpected turn, we can have an inner strength from God that holds us through it all. And a trust in His character and His goodness. That enables us to laugh at the obstacles because we know in Him ‘no weapon formed against you shall succeed’. Isaiah 54:17